Huawei Ascend G300 Review 5/5!


Price: £100 (Pay As You Go - Vodafone)

The newest budget smartphone. It really is awesome!

The Design
The Huawei Ascend G300 comforms to what all touch screen phones seem to look like these days. I quite like it - the two tone colour scheme and the metallic back looks pretty cool . I'm fairly sure the design department took inspiration from the iPhone when creating this.

It has smooth and rounded edges which fits nicely in the palm of your hand. The Home, Back and Options buttons are all touch sensitive. The only physical buttons are the power and volume keys.

The Screen
The screen is 4 inchs across with a pixel resolutuon of 480x800. I find text, images and video to be perfectly clear. As an average user, I can't really fault the clarity even though there are phones with much greater depts available.

The Software
The phone out of the box runs Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread with a slight Huawei customisation. I quite like the changes Huawei has made, especially the lock screen (pictured). I am fairly sure they took inspiration from the LauncherPro Android app on the home screen. The end result is a very user friendly and simple to use interface.

The thing I am looking forward to most about this phone is the software that will become available. As we always see with cheap phones, Android developers seem to jump on them with custom ROMs. As this is a reasonably high spec phone with a cheap price, I'm fully expecting some awesome ROM's in the not so distant future...ICS anyone?

The Hardware:
The phone has an impressive 1GHz processor which easily handles all my apps. I have yet to come across a problem with speed although I have been using a Google G1 and LG Optimus for a while...

It's business as usual on the connectivity front. It has WiFi, HSPDA (enhanced 3G), Bluetooth and GPS. Everything you would expect from a modern day smartphone.

Another nice feature is the internal 2.4GB of memory. This would probably do for a light user - if not the MicroSD slot supports upto 32GB.

The phone has a 3.5mm audio jack and a MicroUSB port. Coupled with the reasonable amount of memory I think perfect to use as an audio player too!

The Phone
The phone has had some teething problems. I purchased it the day it came out and noticed there was a slight problem with sound clarity and volume. This has been fixed in a hotfix that was pushed out to all users recently.

The Camera
The G300 has a 5MP camera which includes a flash. For the average photographer, I think it is fine. Below is a picture I took of a poster I recently acquired...

The video quality is advertised to be HD at 720p. I will shortly be uploading a video to show you how it looks!

The Battery
I was impressed with the battery in this device. These days I expect to have to charge my personal phone overnight, every night. I have 3G switched on at all times and can normally be found playing DrawSomething...

I would class myself as a medium to heavy phone user, making several calls each day and using a variety of apps. In my experience, I get around 48 hours between charges. Towards the end of the second day it does start to display battery warning.

In summary, I am very impressed with this phone. I think Huawei have hit a sweet spot in the market and can see this phone doing exceptionally well. I'll update this article from time to time to let you guys know which ROM I am using.

This phone gets a solid 5/5. Probably the best purchase I have made to date.

The official specifications:

Model
Model
U8815
Type
Type
Smart phone
Platform
Operating System
Android 2.3
Band
GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS 1: 900/2100MHz
UMTS 2: 850/1900/2100MHz
Transfer Rate
WCDMA: 384Kbit/s (UL), 384 Kbit/s (DL)
HSDPA: 7.2 Mbit/s
GPRS/EDGE: 118.4 Kbit/s (UL), 236.8Kbit/s (DL)
CPU
1GHz
Appearance
Style
Bar
Color
16M colors
Dimension (H X W X D)
122.5mm × 63mm × 10.5mm
Weight
About 140g (including the battery)
Display
Size
4.0-inch
Resolution
WVGA( 800x480 pixels)
Camera
Camera resolution
5.0 MP AF Camera
Capacity
Memory
ROM: 4 GB
RAM: 512 MB
ROM User Available: 2.4 GB 
Connectivity
USB
Micro USB
Wi-Fi
802.11b / 802.11g / 802.11n
Bluetooth
Bluetooth 2.1 / Bluetooth stereo (A2DP)
Entertainment
Music player
*.mp3, *.wav, *.ogg, *.mid, *.amr, *.mp4, *.3gp
Web
Web browser
Android Native Browser
Location
Location
GPS/AGPS
Apps
Apps
Availability of Google applications, services, and features may vary according to your country or carrier.
All Backup, File Manager, Weather Clock, Huawei Music, Contacts
Sensors
Proximity sensor
Supported
Ambient light sensor
Supported
Compass
Supported
G sensor
Supported
Battery*
Capacity
1350 mAh (1500mAh in Europe & VDF)
Talk time
Up to 320 mins (2G); Up to 300 mins (3G)
Standby time
Up to 320 hours (2G); Up to 350 hours (3G)

No comments: