Philips Rotary CD Cleaner - 5/5


I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to review this product for a long time now. I bought it last year from Poundland anticipating a few dirty CDs to come my way, but it’s taken until now for one to finally appear!

The Philips CD Cleaner comes with a small instruction manual; a spray bottle of magic cleaning solution and the cleaner itself – which resembles an old portable CD player. The instructions say to place the CD face up in the cleaner, spray the solution once (quite conservative in comparison to some cleaners!) and rotate the spinning handle 5-10 times. I ripped the skipping DVD from my drive and gave it a go.

I found that despite only using the spray once, a lot of the solution is applied and the recommendation of spinning the handle 5-10 times doesn’t quite cut it. I had to be quite liberal and spin it at least 20 times until the solution came off. Apparently it’s meant to leave a protective film on the disc to help resist finger prints and other evils but I didn’t feel comfortable putting a disc that had liquid on into my drive.

And the moment you’ve been waiting for… the results. I couldn’t have been more impressed with the results: sure, the scratches were still there, but the horrible streaks and marks had totally vanished. Lo and behold, the DVD didn’t skip anymore when I put it back into the player. You can see a before/after comparison below.
Before
After

This surely has to be a bargain for £1, and I would have had no problems paying 10 times as much considering the results. 5/5.