HTC Desire HD Android 2.2.1 Froyo Christmas Update Problems and Issues. Send us your stories!

Scroll down for my Email address, I would very much like you to send me all of your problems so I can forward them to the responsible parties and try to get the service providers to issue new phones. I will respond to each of you individually.


Hello all,

I have been busy working away in the background of BlueSky Gadget Reviews and this is my first post.

I have decided to post to try and clear up some issues that I have been having with my HTC Desire HD. We got the phone within a week of release because I liked the look of it and I thought it would make a good review.

Over Christmas I updated the phone to Android Froyo 2.2.1. Some of the problems I encounted were:

Not being alerted when I receive a text message - had to go into the inbox to find a new message.

When I clicked on inbox, the new message alert came up and would not go away.

The alarm clock malfunctioned and I was late for a very important meeting.

The GPS malfunctioned.

Phone kept rebooting for no reason.

Battery life decreased.

Phone freezes a lot.

Photos weren't displaying in the gallery (SD Card?)

Disappearing text messages

About a week after the update I stubbed my toe on the kitchen unit.. :(..Coincidence?

Some volume issues.

I have contacted HTC via Email and they recommended resetting the phone...It didn't work. I then waited patiently for an update to fix the problems but after a couple of weeks I gave in.

I rang my service provider (Orange) and they issued me with a refurbished phone...It was full to the brim of Orange branding and bloat-ware. Apparently Orange can only distribute refurbished branded phones :/

This refurbished phone was dangerous as when it was in my hand on charge, I touched metal (my MacBook Pro) and could feel a current on the ends of my fingertips. I looked at the micro USB port on the handset and could see that it was set at an angle. Back to Orange it went.

Alas I received yet another replacement handset and first thing I did was to connect it via micro USB to my computer.Again, I noticed the cable was entering the refurbished phone at an angle and didn't fit properly. I'm not prepared to put up with the constant disappointment Orange have brought me. I also noticed a couple of scratches on the phone.

The idea:

I'm sick of the poor customer service I am constantly receiving from Orange. I'm disappointed and frustrated at being bounced from company to company (HTC, Android, Orange). I plan on bringing this update into the limelight and I am thinking about progressing this issue further.

If you have been affected by the Android 2.2.1 update I would very much appreciate you sending me a list of your problems so that I can forward them onto the appropriate parties in an attempt to help all those affected, including myself. I won't stop until I am satisfied and I have a new HTC Desire HD in my hand.

The more of you that respond, the more likely we are to lay this issue to rest.

Please contact me at: sean@gadget-reviews.me

5 comments:

Adam (BSR Admin) said...

Good Luck! Hope all goes well!!

Ben23 said...

I've got a Desire Z and it's been having issues since updating to 2.2.1, but I don't know for sure if that is the cause. Basically doing anything calendar-shaped is taking a very long time (can take several minutes to add a new entry) - this applies irrespective of which application is accessing the calendar. It's also crashed hard twice in the past two days - won't wake up, won't respond to button pushes, if plugged in unplugging it doesn't even change the LED state. Required flipping the battery out to reboot it. This is my first Android phone and I've only had it a few weeks, I hadn;t been intending to root it but I now feel like I'll have to just so I can find out what's going on!

jaamgans said...

Can you at least say which version you are on, as there are a couple of version of the firmware out there at the moment.

Anonymous said...

After the upgrade the screen goes blank right away after I started calling someone. So I can't select speaker phone unless I press the power button to wake up the phone.
In addition, the calender notification is silent no matter how I adjusted the volume.
The kernel version is 2.6.32.21-g132894e. Software number is 1.84.666.2

Anonymous said...

same issue here, on an htc desire, refurb from my provider as well.

The refurb has 2.2 and screen goes blank right away when I dial, can't always get it back via power button either. Generally comes back when someone disconnects, but I can't disconnect, enter any codes (think VM retrieval) and sometimes have to remove battery before I can get back to a screen menu...sometimes if I go through menu (phone, details option on name, choose dial phone) it will work...but again, only comes back if they hang up.

have had 3 htc Desires so far with the same charger miss-alignment issues, won't charge using the original cord, can use after markets though but not consistently.

I'm getting tired of faulty equipment though.